The ruins of Crichton Castle, Midlothian, Scotland.
Crichton Castle is a located within 15 miles of Edinburgh’s city and sits on a terrace overlooking the River Tyne.
The castle has a spectacular facade of faceted stonework in an Italian style, added following a visit to Italy by the Earl of Bothwell between 1581 and 1591.
The Crichton family had an estate here from at least as early as the 13th century. John de Crichton was granted a charter for the barony from King Robert III (who reigned from 1390 to 1406). It may have been this John de Crichton who first constructed a great tower house,the remains of which can still be seen today.
📷 by Scott james Pryde.