Kilchurn Castle, Loch Awe, Argyll and Bute, Scotland.
Kilchurn Castle is a ruined structure on a rocky peninsula at the northeastern end of Loch Awe, in Argyll and Bute, Scotland.
The Castle was built in the mid- 15th century by Sir Colin Campbell, 1st Lord of Glenorchy as the base of the Campbells of Glenorchy. The Campbells of Glenorchy were the most powerful cadet branch of the Clan Campbell, and over two centuries from the 1430s came to dominate the central Highlands. The building of several castles, over the next 150 years; of which Kilchurn was the first, was a key part of their territorial expansion during this period.
Kilchurn fell out of use and was in ruins by 1770. It is now in the care of Historic Environment Scotland and is open to the public in summer.
Photo by Amy Wong.